- Our Group coordinates (Jordi Sort Project Coordinator, Eva Pellicer Training Manager) a new European Training Network entitled “Magnetoelectrics beyond 2020: A Training Programme on Energy-Efficient Magnetoelectric Nanomaterials for Advanced Information and Healthcare Technologies” (‘BeMAGIC’). The Network (starting from September 2019) gathers a Consortium of 23 Partners (Universities, Research Institutes and companies), including University of Cambridge, ETH Zurich, INRIM, CNR, ICN2, Spin-Ion Technologies, G.TEC, Thin Film Technological Services, IFW-Dresden, KIT or Aalto University, among others. The overall funding for the Network activities is 4 M€. Two open positions for new PhD fellows will be open soon.
- Our Group is part of a new European Training Network (starting in January 2020) entitled “Biofilm-resistant materials for hard tissue implant applications” (‘BIOREMIA’), gathering a Consortium of 17 Partners, including University of Cambridge, IFW-Dresden, University of Ioannina, University of Leoben, University of Torino, PX Services, Anthogyr S.A.S. or Sryker Trauma GmbH, among others. Two open positions for PhD fellows will be open soon.
- Our PhD Student, Cristina Navarro-Senent” got two Prizes in the competition “Thesis in 4 minutes, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (16/05/2019).
- Poster Award to Cristina Navarro at the 2018 European School on Magnetism "Magnetism by light" (Krakow, September 2018).
- Extraordinary PhD Awards (UAB) for our PhD students Aïda Varea (2015) and Jin Zhang (2018).
- Link to the Keynote Talk by Prof. J. Sort at the International Conference on Innovative Applied Energy IAPE'19 (Oxford, March 2019).
- Our group is organizing the "International Workshop on Magneto-Electric Actuation, Magneto-Ionics and Related Phenomena in High Surface Area Materials" (Barcelona, 28-30 May 2018), with the participation of renowned scientists in the field, invited from 11 different countries. Further information can be found at: http://pagines.uab.cat/spinporics/ca
- Our PhD Student, Cristina Navarro-Senent got the First Prize poster Award at the 3rd Scientific Meeting 2017 BCN-b PhD students in Nanoscience, that was held at ICMAB (Bellaterra), November 2017.
- The European Training Network entitled “Advanced integrative solutions to corrosion problems beyond micro-scale: towards long-term durability of miniaturized medical, electronic and energy systems (mCBEEs), in which our Group participates as Beneficiary Partner, started on 1st October 2017.
- Our postdoc Jin Zhang was awarded the Schwäbisch Gmünd Prize for Young Scientists in recognition to her PhD achievements during the EAST Forum 2017 held last 7th April 2017 in Schwäbisch Gmünd (Germany). EAST stands for "European Academy of Surface Technology".
- Prof. Jordi Sort is interviewed at RTVE (Radio) to talk about energy-efficient computing (December 2016).
- Prof. Jordi Sort is interviewed at the ABC newspaper to summarize the group activities in the field of energy-efficient computation and magnetic storage (October 2016).
- Dr. Eva Pellicer is interviewed at “El Punt Avui” TV to talk about the use of hydrogen as a new, environmentally-friendly, source of energy (October 2016).
- Prof. Jordi Sort was awarded the “Materials Science and Technology Prize” from the Federation of European Materials Societies. The Prize constitutes a recognition to the career of young European Scientists or Engineers working in the field of Materials Science. The Prize was awarded during the framework of the Euromat 2015 Conference, held in Warsaw in September 2015.
- Dr. Eva Pellicer was appointed vice-chair of the COST Action MP1407 entitled “Electrochemical processing methodologies and corrosion protection for device and systems miniaturization”. The main objective of the Action is to support and promote high-quality research in electrochemical processing technologies and corrosion towards the development of miniaturized systems and devices.
- Prof. Jordi Sort has been awarded ERC Consolidator Grant from the European Research Council. His project entitled "Merging Nanoporous Materials with Energy-Efficient Spintronics (SPIN-PORICS)" aims to integrate engineered nanoporous materials into novel spintronic applications.
MORE INFO: UAB web site - TV3 (catalan TV)
- The European Training Network entitled “Smart Electrodeposited Alloys for environmentally sustainable applications: from advanced protective coatings to micro/nano-robotic platforms (SELECTA)”, coordinated by Prof. Sort, started on January 2015.
- Dr. Eva Pellicer was awarded the International Rising Talents L'Oréal-UNESCO Award ("For Women in Science"), for a Research Project dealing with the generation of hydrogen, as an alternative vector to fossil fuels, taking advantage of the utilization of specific nanoporous metallic alloys for electrocatalytic processes. See more
Enterview at RTVE web site